Rent-A-Center’s many corporate acquisitions over the years had left their data centre with a multitude of different servers, storage systems and networks.
This meant resource being tied up configuring hardware to ensure remote desktop and application performance ran smoothly. Like many businesses, the IT team were under pressure to improve productivity, and were tasked with reducing VDI deployment time whilst also showing an economical cost per user. As a growing business, the solution had to be scalable, so they didn’t end up in the same situation again.
Instead of trying to fix the existing disparate infrastructure, the company chose a complete refresh with the Dell EMC VxRail Appliance, a Hyper-Converged Infrastructure appliance. Rapid deployment, simplified management, deep integration with the VM toolset and high performance were all key selection criteria for the new infrastructure.
- Deployment was hours, rather than the weeks they’d expected with a build-your-own approach.
- The ease of management also freed up resource to deal with more user-facing engineering tasks.
- The new infrastructure delivered performance gains: “Typically, in a VDI environment, IOPS is your biggest concern. With the All-Flash Dell EMC VxRail Appliance, worry about maxing out our infrastructure has vanished” Mike Conroy, Director of Technical Operations
- Automated storage compression, duplication and erasure coding helped slow down storage growth to take pressure of the data centre footprint, and power and cooling costs.
- Clear, predictable and economical cost per user helps plan for future expansion.
*Up to 2 hours’ free consultancy with an infrastructure specialist, qualified by initial call to ensure assessment is relevant.