With the lagging economy today, companies are looking for ways to cut costs while continuing to provide the same level of services that they have in the past to their customers and their employees. Companies have found by allowing remote working productivity has increased, and costs have decreased.
Here are five benefits to enabling remote working.
- Reduction in Costs – Employees working from home saves on office space and parking as average office space alone costs an estimated £7,500 per employee. Employees spend less in petrol and maintenance on their vehicles due to reduced mileage driven. Lower costs for employees translates into happier employees since they are spending less money to get to work and will have the ability to use those funds as needed in other areas of their personal finances.
- Reduction in Absenteeism – Many employees are off work when a child is ill or due to inclement, unsafe weather conditions that preclude them from driving to work. If they worked in the office they would have to take a personal or sick day to attend to a child who was ill. Offering the ability for employees to have what is commonly referred to as "flex time" will allow them to stay at home, tend to their sick loved one or stay safe at home due to weather conditions and still get things accomplished for their organisation.
- Enhanced Employee Productivity – Studies have shown that employees are more productive when working from home because there are fewer distractions or interruptions from meetings and less socialising with co-workers.
- Balanced Work/Family Life – It provides better balance between work and family life since much of an employee's time is spent at work or travelling to and from work giving them less time with the family. By allowing them to work from home gives them more time to provide attention to family by eliminating commute time.
- Increased Employee Retention and Loyalty – Employees are happier when they are able to work from home without the added stress of commuting, dealing with rising fuel costs, expensive automotive repairs, etc. Employees who work from home tend to be more content with their jobs and thus more willing to work hard their organisation.
For years, many companies have allowed employees to work from home. In return, these companies seem to enjoy a higher employee satisfaction rate and employee retention rate. The work from home scenario provides a win-win for both the company and the employee and it is becoming more and more popular.
Business leaders are being urged to work closely with their IT colleagues to drive a business model that will empower employees to work from home. Emerging and affordable remote access services are offering secure fully authenticated remote access solutions that cost little in maintenance and support but deliver maximum return to organisations by enabling workers with remote access capability.